This webinar will focus on the impact of COVID-19 on SMEs and entrepreneurial businesses and the resources available to best support them.
SMEs are the backbone of the UK economy and have been heavily exposed to the shock of the COVID-19 pandemic to the economy, particularly in respect of cash flow.
This next session will be led and moderated by Nick Atkins from Stevens & Bolton, a full-service law firm with extensive experience in advising companies from Spain and elsewhere in establishing a presence in the UK.
During the webinar Nick, a corporate partner and Head of Entrepreneurs, will run a panel discussion with specialist experts David Steinberg (head of restructuring), Kerry Garcia (head of employment & immigration), Helen Wheddon (head of real estate disputes), Boma Adoki (employment associate) and Nassar Nassar (corporate senior associate), covering a broad range of topics relevant to SMEs and entrepreneurial businesses navigating the current circumstances, including:
- Funding options, including the government’s Future Fund alongside its loan schemes and grants available for dealing with the pandemic.
- Insolvency matters, including the temporary relaxing of rules around wrongful trading.
- Employment matters, including the job retention scheme.
- Immigration matters, including temporary relaxing of right-to-work check requirements.
- Property matters, including rent on your premises and protection from eviction.
This will be an interactive session in which you will have the opportunity to ask any questions that you might have to the speaker.
When: Thursday 21st May, 11:00am-12:00pm (UK time)
- Nick Atkins is a corporate partner and advises on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, shareholder arrangements, reorganisations and general corporate matters, with particular experience in the technology, media, distribution, education and leisure sectors. Nick is also head of the firm’s Spanish desk and entrepreneurs sector group.
- David Steinberg is co-head of the restructuring and insolvency practice and advises corporates, shareholders, banks and other stakeholders on all aspects of restructuring and insolvency. He has a particular specialism in the insolvency and restructuring of insurance companies and other regulated financial institutions.
- Kerry Garcia is head of the firm’s employment and immigration practice and advises on all aspects of business immigration law and right to work issues, regularly advising employers and individuals in relation to the points based immigration system, including the sponsorship registration process, assigning certificates of sponsorship and entry clearance and extension applications. She also advises on the full range of contentious and non-contentious employment matters.
- Helen Wheddon heads the real estate disputes practice and advises on all aspects of property related disputes. Her experience includes all areas of landlord and tenant work that affect businesses (including lease renewals, rent reviews, dilapidations), property related insolvency issues and contractual claims arising from land and development issues.
- Nassar Nassar advises on a range of corporate transactional matters including mergers and acquisitions, venture capital investments and private equity transactions. Nassar is also involved in the firm’s entrepreneur sector group.
- Boma Adoki advises employers and individuals on all aspects of employment law in contentious and non-contentious matters, from drafting, negotiating and advising on employment contracts, to providing advice on grievance and disciplinary procedures, managing sickness absence, employee data protection, and managing dismissals. Boma is also experienced in advising on the employment aspects of corporate acquisitions and disposals, redundancies and reorganisations.